Sunday, November 9, 2014

Writer’s Block and How You Can Overcome It

Sunday, November 9, 2014


Image source here.
“People have writer’s block not because they can’t write, but because they despair of writing eloquently.” – Anna Quindlin.

A writer depends on his mind to write ideas and express what he wants through what he writes. He will not be able to transcribe what he wants people to know if the ideas are faint, pointless, and nonsense. Every writer experienced writer’s block at one point of their writing careers. There would be the time that you have all ideas in the world and you suddenly stop at the middle where you don’t know what to write anymore. It feels frustrating when you feel stuck, it seems that you ran out of words to write. It’s easy to overcome, though many writers face it for a long time because they don’t know how to get through it.

Don’t get discouraged once this happens to you. Follow these steps to overcome writer’s block and finish what you are writing about.

Take a break for a few minutes. After hours and hours of writing, you don’t have to drain your mind of thinking how you will end your story. Get up, take a break. Get your feet up of that chair and be idle for a while. Give yourself and your brain to rest for it to create more ideas.

Image source here.
Free yourself from distractions. You know you’re distracted if you keep on switching your tabs from your work to Facebook or Twitter. Why don’t you disconnect that Ethernet cable for the meantime? If you don’t need anything from the internet, get away from it and do your thing. Web is a big distraction when you need something to be done right away.

Write at your most convenient time. Writers all have their own time when all ideas suddenly flush into them. Some are more comfortable writing early in the morning, some during at midnight. Make your schedule hassle free for you not to rush what you write.

Listen to music. Another effective way to recover from writer’s block is to listen to the music you are most comfortable with. Music would help your mind to be ease and relax.

Image source here.
Don’t force yourself. If you can’t think of anything to write, don’t force yourself to bring out the words. It could make the situation worst by ruining what you are writing. Writing while you are in a writer’s block state could make your ideas pointless and nonsense.

Get a nap. If you’re tired, it would be natural for your body to have a delayed response, which will then result to a writer’s block. Studies say that 6-8 hours of sleep every night would be the best time duration for your body to recover from a day work and your brain to reprocess, though taking a nap will immediately rest and reset your brain.

Write daily. On Jeff Goins’ blog Goins, Writer, he wrote about the secret to developing a regular writing habit is to write 500 words every single day. His 500 words is a 31-day challenge designed to help someone develop a daily writing habit and become a better writer. As for yourself, it would not necessarily be 500 words. You can just think and write about anything that you did for the whole day. Just exercise your mind for it to be at ease to produce ideas every day.


               





If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers

13 comments:

  1. I always feel this way specially when I was so busy and then I realized I need to finish my article. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with everything on your list! I used to think that if you want to write, just sit down and write. Back when I was still a student, it was easier to write...but I realised it changes when you're older, have more responsibilities and exhausted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, taking a nap usually works for me. I have sleep-deprived of sleep and so sleeping is my therapy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The list you created is definitely helpful. Thank you for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a writer, I do experience writer's block every so often. What works usually for me is reading and watching TV. Doing these things allows me to think of something else for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello. :)) This is very helpful for me because I often experience this. Hope you read my blog too. marcteng.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tips, and just always follow your heart with whatever you may want to share to the world ;)
    Followed you on GFC, hope you can follow me back ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i get writer's block (or what i call blogger's block now for that matter :D ) every now and then so even if i can't come up with anything significant to write, i whip out my notebook (and yes, i always have a small notebook with me) and write whatever i think of just to empty my mind until i hit a eureka moment.. :D great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty component of content. I simply stumbled upon your blog andd iin accession capial
    to claim that I acquire actually enjoyed account your weblog posts.

    Anyway I'll be subscribing in your augment or even I achievement you
    get right oof entry to persistently fast.

    Feeel free too surf to my blog letting agents Brookmans Park, ,

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, I check your blog regularly. Your writing style is awesome, keep up the good work!


    Feel free to visit my web page; minecraft games

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wished to say that I've truly
    enjoyed browsing your blog posts. After all I will be subscribing
    to your rss feed and I hope you write again soon!

    My page ... minecraft games

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey just wanted to give you a brief heads up and let you know a few of the pictures aren't
    loading correctly. I'm not sure why but I think its a
    linking issue. I've tried it in two different internet browsers and both show the same results.



    My blog post ... Quest Nutrition Bars Free Shipping

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello there! This post could not be written any better!
    Reading through this post reminds me plenty of fish dating site of free dating
    my previous room mate! He always kept chatting about this.

    I will forward this article to him. Pretty sure he will have a good read.
    Many thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Live. Laugh. Love. and EAT in between! © 2014